Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Furious Snow...


I rarely get truly angry. Today I was mad. M.A.D. As I turned channel 7 on this morning, I was hoping for the news that we would be having a snow day. As the list of schools scrolled across the screen, I was certain that my district would be next...Douglas County--cancelled...Jefferson County--cancelled...Littleton Public Schools--30 minute delay. What?! I did yell at the television.


Of course, we all enjoy a day off from time to time. But, the reason that I was truly upset was that it was dangerous for us to drive to school. And, an hour after school began, they decided to send all of our middle schoolers and high schoolers home for the day because the roads were continuing to get worse and worse. Why didn't they send the elementary school students home? It all comes down to day care. While I understand the conundrum that an early release presents to working parents, the partial early release truly turned our classrooms into day care. All of the students in my classroom with siblings in middle school or high school were picked up early from school. So, as half of my class rode safely home with their parents, the rest of my class had to be occupied...clearly I couldn't move on to new material. I would need to reteach it all the next day. So, we basically hung out, silently read and did fun (non-academic) activities. I kept a smile on my face, but my blood did boil. Isn't the safety of all of the school's staff and students more important than a half-day inconvenience?

No comments:

Post a Comment