Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Try It Tuesday!

Breakfast Burritos

I made these for Jose the other day and they got rave reviews. I froze mine, so he could take them to work and heat them up in the microwave. Now, hold onto your hat, Jim...I'm about to post my favorite tortilla recipe. The tortillas definitely make these burritos, so don't even think about buying some off the shelf.

Tortillas:
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
salt (maybe 1.5 teaspoons...maybe more)
1 tablespoon canola oil
warm water (about 1.5 cups...depends on the consistency)

Combine the flour and baking powder and salt. Mix the canola oil and about a cup of water. Add the wet to the dry. Are you ready to get your hands dirty? Knead it. If it is crumbly, add more water. If it is tough, add more water. If it's like pancake batter, well...you made need to start over.
Heat a skillet on high. I use an iron skillet and I think it improves the flavor.
Get a ball of dough about the size of a golf ball. Maybe a large golf ball...they come in sizes, right? Flour your counter or a cutting board. Whip out your rolling pin and roll your dough ball into a really flat circle-ish. You want it to be as thin as it can be without getting holes in it. Gently lay it into your skillet. Cook for 30 seconds and flip. Get your next tortilla ready. Take your first tortilla out of the skillet.
I keep my tortillas inside a folded dish towel until I am ready to assemble.

Filling for 6 burritos (This is what I used this time, but anything goes!)
3 slices Turkey bacon: I cook this right after the tortillas in my skillet. Then, cut it into small pieces.
6 Eggs Scrambled: I usually add a little silk, salt and pepper to my bowl of eggs before cooking. Once the bacon comes out, pour your eggs into the pan to cook.
A Handful of Shredded Cheese: Add this into the cooking eggs.
Yummy Salsa

To Assemble
Get a tortilla.
Place the cheesy eggs on the bottom.
Sprinkle some bacon on top.
Spoon on some salsa.
Fold the bottom and top edges of your tortilla.
Roll your tortilla from one side.
Wrap in plastic wrap and foil.
Freeze.
Microwave about 3 minutes and enjoy!

Other Ideas: Add some spinach into the eggs. Roast some peppers and add those to the mix. Try whole wheat flour for the tortillas. Saute some mushrooms and onions and top your eggs with them. And, of course, you could add any number of spices or herbs.

1 comment:

  1. I swear I could eat a meal of JUST those tortillas! No meat, no veggies... just tortillas

    ReplyDelete