Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Try It Tuesday!

Oh, Try It Tuesday, it has simply been too long. I have had several recipes that I've tried over the summer that I've wanted to post. But, here's what was for dinner last night.
We have not made it to the grocery since we returned from Colin and Stefanie's lovely wedding, so this is just what we had to throw together in the fridge and pantry. Andrea asked for the recipe last night...

What Was in the Fridge
3 cups grains (I used a quinoa/barley combination)
2 cups lentils
1 ear of corn, cut off the cob (I roasted it in the oven with Griff's potatoes during nap time)
1 green pepper, chopped
2 mild, roasted chilies (We love the ones they sell at the Cherry Creek Farmers' Market)
A handful of spinach
1 cup of frozen broccoli
A splash of olive oil
Salt, pepper and Bragg's to taste
Cheddar cheese

I cooked the grains and the lentils in the same big pot to minimize clean-up. I dumped the grains and lentils back into the big pot with a little olive oil. Then, I threw in the peppers and spices. Once the green pepper was cooked, I added the rest of the veggies. While those warmed all the way through, I shredded some cheddar cheese. Then, everything went into a couple bowls. Okay, not everything...we have a lot of leftovers!

I love recipes like this because you can make them any time. We always have grains and dried beans in our pantry, so I can just change the veggies and spices based on my mood and fridge. The roasted chilies were key to this mixture...try to get some while it's still the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment