Friday, March 12, 2010

Home 2.0





There's nothing like going home. When my parents sold our family home at 100 Willow, my heart ached with the thought that home would never quite be the same. I immediately began to long for summer days lounging in the hammock under those huge, old trees, walking to Main Street for the Fall Festival Parade, and squishing ourselves together at the top of the stairs on Christmas morning. Oh, it's never going to be the same, I thought.

Then, I found myself headed to Carmel, yes...Carmel. When I walked in the door at the new place on Horseguard Close, I was overwhelmed by the warmth of home. The house itself is beautiful and reflects my parents' clean, elegant style. It is so them and has plenty of room for all of us. But, what shocked me was that I didn't miss the old house. It felt so perfect to be laughing on the couch with my siblings, sitting at the counter eating lunch, walking with my mom through the neighborhood and chatting on Whit's bed at night. The only thing that was missing was the Smith part of our family (and Jose). Home is being immersed in the love of family. And, whether in Zionsville, Carmel, or Denver, the love is always plenty deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment